2012 articles & reviews
Affairs of the Vines - Rhone Shoot-Out - July 2012
Double Gold Medal, 92 Points / 5 Hearts - 2009 Pizzicato Petite Sirah: "...blackberry, blueberry, mocha, sandelwood, and allspice aromas...intense as a rich, dark chocolaty Devil's food cake. Oozing with baked berries intermixed with tannins. Chocolate, mocha, toasted coconut, dark earth and dusty black fruits...solid, complex structure for aging."
San Francisco Chronicle "Holiday Bites" Section - Dec. 2012
"Using grapes procured from the finest vineyards...R&B Cellars is a family-owned winery that produces a variety of artisanal wines celebrated by wine lovers throughout the U.S. and several countries around the world...."Making wine is a passion we've been dedicated to long before we started the business in 1997," say winemaker Kevin Brown. "My wife and I are both jazz musicians, and we make wine like we play jazz: with love and devotion to an art form. That devotion comes through in every bottle we produce."
Alameda Magazine / Oakland Magazine - November 2012
"In California, wine tasting was once a rural experience....Today, the East Bay is home to numerous urban wineries, but most tasting rooms still shutter at 6 p.m. and serve minimal nibbles. Alameda is changing all that...Alameda Vintners Club offers tastings from five East Bay wineries from noon until 9 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday...paired with small plates designed to compliment the wines..." Alameda Vintners Club at Angela's Bistro & Bar, 2301 Central Ave. in Alameda.
Touring & Tasting Magazine - 2012
"From it's very first notes, R&B Cellars has delivered premium wines infused with the musical passion of its owners, Barbara and Kevin Brown....Today, R&B Cellars creates a terrific, diversified portfolio of 12 high-quality wines that are value oriented... "
BevEx - May 8, 2012
- The Improviser - Brilliant - "...the aromatics leap from the glass offering scents of freshly cut bramble berry, boysenberry, blackberry, and cherry with accents of chocolate-covered vanilla cherries...lush, juicy, jammy and as hedonistic as California wine can be..."
- 2010 Serenade in Blanc Sauvignon Blanc - "Brilliant" "...a subtle marriage of green grass with crisp green melon, red grapefruit, mineral, and citrus zest...a crisp citrus-driven core supported by notes of fresh herbs, lush orange and tangerine, and subtle ginger accents."
- 2010 Swingsville Zinfandel - "Brilliant" "Bright ruby red color...ultra ripe berries filling the nose...The palate..delivers liquid jam...Lush and vibrant..."
- 2009 Minuet in Merlot - Brilliant "...rich and intense..,blackberry, cherries, and red currants in the lead with accents of vanilla soaked oak, nutmeg, and cherry liqueur...the palate echoes..with ripe, lush berry fruit at the core, flanked by notes of oak, earth, and brown baking spices. Dense and jammy on the long, lingering finish with enough acidity to add vibrancy."
- 2009 Pizzicato Petite Sirah - "Exceptional" - "Deep, darkest ruby red color...the nose is intensely fruity with waves of ripe, crushed blackberry, plum, raspberry, and black cherries with accents of brown baking spices, mineral and cocoa. The palate fully concurs delivering wave after wave of ripe berry fruits...spice, oak and hints of earth...undeniably large and jammy..."
- 2009 Zydeco Zinfandel - "Brilliant" - "...ripe red and black berries leap from the glass...scents of blackberry, raspberry, and blueberry mingle with vanilla, allspice, and raspberry jam...the palate delivers a fruit explosion that slowly fades revealing oak, earth, and brown baking spice notes..."
Just Wine Points - March 2012 (Its not just points!!)
- 2010 Serenade in Blanc Sauvignon Blanc - 94 Points "Pretty grapefruit, orange and lemon aromas with hints of minerals and oak...well balanced, full-bodied, crisp and clean...a nice lingering finish."
- 2010 Swingsville Zin - 91 Points "Aromas of fresh strawberry, cherry..pepper spice and oak...well balanced..good mouthfeel and a smooth, round finish."
- 2009 Zydeco Zin - 94 Points "Deep aromas of blackberry, raspberry, black cherry and plum surrounded by chocolate, vanilla, spice and oak..."
- The Improviser - 96 Points "A fresh nose of raspberry, blackberry, cherry...with hints of vanilla, spice and oak. Wonderfully balanced, smooth and juicy...Buy this by the case!"
- 2006 Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon - 90 Points " Aromas of mature blackberry, black cherry, plum and currant, with tea, chocolate and oak following....nicely balanced, well-structured, and lingers on the palate in a beautiful smooth finish."